The best part about working on a dive boat was the time I spent in the water. I logged a lot of dives in the Bahamas during the 4 years I spent on the Sea Fever.
When I first started working, I was overwhelmed so I took a lot of shortcuts, like buying pre-made muffins at Costco when I could provision in Miami. There were times though when we left Miami for several weeks at a time (9 weeks was my record) and I had to do a lot more baking as well as cooking. These cinnamon swirl biscuits were always a hit.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp ea sugar, baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup dried currants or raisins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cut in the butter, stir in the buttermilk. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead about 10 times. Pat the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches by 4 inches. Brush with the melted butter, sprinkle the filling on top and press it in gently. Roll up the dough and cut into 1 inch slices. Drizzle on any remaining butter.
- Bake for 15 mins on greased cookie sheets.