You will not find an easier birthday cake to prepare. I make this ice cream sandwich cake by request several times every summer for birthdays.
On Vivi’s 3rd birthday we had a fun little party. Pizza, cake, a piñata, and a food drive for FIND Food Bank in Indio. The pizzas came from Costco – they are always a hit with the kids. The cake is our go to summer birthday cake. We call it an ice cream sandwich cake, and not because it tastes like ice cream sandwiches, because it literally is made from ice cream sandwiches. Everybody loves it, and it’s almost embarrassing how easy it is to make.
- 1 - 24 pack of ice cream sandwiches
- 1 bottle or jar of caramel topping
- 1 bottle or jar of Chocolate Syrup
- 1 package of Heath English Toffee Bits, or Skor Bits
- 1 - 4 pack of Dream Whip Topping
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Line a 9x13 cake pan with foil.
- Mix up 2 packs of Dream Whip with one cup of milk.
- Layer half the ice cream sandwiches on the bottom cutting the last few to make them fit.
- Spread the dream whip over them, squirt the syrups, and sprinkle a layer of toffee bits.
- Add the second layer of ice cream sandwiches.
- Put it back in the freezer for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Mix up the rest of the Dream Whip.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter that will fit back into the freezer.
- Cover the top and sizes with the Dream Whip.
- Decorate the top with more toffee bits or use an offset spatula to create a smooth surface to decorate with gel icing pens .
Usually I decorate the top with more toffee bits but you can leave it plain, add sprinkles, or even add food coloring to the dream whip. This time I left it plain so that the candles would show up really well.