I started making broccoli quinoa burgers because Vivi loves broccoli soup, but hates the texture of broccoli so I was looking for another way to serve it to her. I saw several versions of this dish on Pinterest but I always end up making a variation based on ingredients I have on hand.
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets, diced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup gluten free crumbs, I used Riceworks Sea Salt and Black Sesame crisps crumbled
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour blend, I used Namaste brand
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 large egg
- Saute the onion and broccoli in 1 tbsp oil until soft.
- Allow to cool before blending in the rest of the ingredients.
- Form into patties and cook in the remaining oil until browned on both sides.
They can be eaten burger style in a bun or crab cake style with a nice salad. Vivi had hers with a little ranch dressing to dip it in, and gobbled it up so this recipe’s a keeper!
This broccoli quinoa burger recipe is very forgiving and can be made with a variety of veggies. I’ve made it with cauliflower and kale, black beans and sweet potato, and mushrooms and pinto beans. I’ve also subbed rice, chickpeas, or oats in for the quinoa when I don’t have it on hand, but quinoa has more nutritional value than any of those subs. For example, it has twice the protein and about 5 grams more fiber than the same amount of white rice. It’s also a complete protein, meaning it provides all eight essential amino acids.
Quinoa came into favor suddenly and has a lot of proven health benefits. The UN declared 2013 the Year of Quinoa, and by now most North Americans know how to pronounce it (KEEN-wah).