Water kefir is not only easy to make, it is a healthy, delicious, probiotic-rich, dairy-free drink that is good for the whole family.
Initially my Mom started making water kefir when she stopped consuming dairy products. None of us wanted anything to do with her milk or goat milk kefir projects, but water kefir is a different story, it tastes like soda pop! Even my five year old daughter enjoys it. Mom has had her little water kefir factory going for just over a year now and her grains grew enough that she was able to split them and give some to a friend of mine. A month ago my parents left town and I took over the production so before they left I got a lesson on taking care of the kefir grains, which I lovingly refer to as Mom’s Sea Monkeys.
Equipment You Need:
2 glass containers that hold about 5 cups
a nylon mesh strainer (not metal as it will harm the grains)
4 flip-top bottles (we use Grolsch beer bottles)
a glass measuring cup
- ¼ to ⅓ cup organic white sugar
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 tbsp hydrated kefir grains
- ¼ tsp molasses (or Concentrace Minerals)
- 1½ cups frozen mixed berries (or whatever you want to flavor it with)
- Heat 1 cup of water and stir in sugar and molasses until it is dissolved.
- Stir in the rest of the water and allow it to return to room temperature (between 75-80 degrees) I’m not a patient person, so I use a little bit of ice to quickly cool it off.
- Add the Kefir grains to the sugar water, cover loosely, I use a paper coffee filter and a rubber band. Set it on a shelf in the pantry and leave it for 48 hours.
- Strain out the grains and add frozen berries or mango. Cover and let sit in the pantry for 48 hours, this time I cover it with plastic wrap and a rubber band.
- Strain out the fruit and pour into flip-top bottles. I usually leave it on the counter for half a day before I refrigerate it and this helps it get fizzy.
In less than a week, you will have water kefir at three stages, including ready to drink! At this point, you only spend 15-20 minutes on your water kefir factory every 2 days.