My Mom made us a yummy batch of gluten free strawberry shortcake for dessert the other day. I love a dessert that isn’t too sweet, and this really hit the spot. When she asked if we’d rather have whipped cream or ice cream on it, the vote for ice cream was unanimous. Mom wanted to melt some chocolate to drizzle over it, but we wanted it just as you see it.
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 1/2 cups Biscuit Mix
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine Biscuit Mix, baking soda, and white sugar.
- Cut butter and coconut oil into dry ingredients until it is well blended, and pea sized lumps are formed.
- Whisk the egg and water together before adding to the dry ingredients. Combine gently, do not over mix.
- Sprinkle a little of the dry biscuit mix, or gluten free flour onto your work surface and roll or pat the dough out until it is 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 10 biscuits, and place them on your prepared baking sheet. Combine the cinnamon and coconut sugar. Brush with melted butter or coconut oil and sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Slice biscuits and fill with sliced strawberries and vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.