Last Updated on
If you’re looking for a wow-factor dessert to bring to a summer gathering, try this simple and delicious gluten free lemon mousse recipe. My sister doesn’t remember who originally emailed this recipe to her, but she’s been making it for years, and it has become one of her signature dishes. We always put most of it in a big bowl to take to a party, and keep a small bowl for us to enjoy at home.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 package Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 C fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp rum or brandy
- 1 1/2 C whipping cream
- a pint of fresh strawberries or blueberries
- a sprig of fresh mint
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter until light.
- Beat in cheese, blending until smooth.
- Mix in the sugar gradually.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice and rum.
- Beat until smooth. It will seem pretty runny at this point, that's ok.
- Beat the whipping cream until it holds firm peaks, and fold into lemon mixture.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries or blueberries and a sprig of mint.
Before you start working on this lemon mousse recipe, remember to let your butter and cream cheese warm up to room temperature. Our butter was cold, so I put Vivi to work mashing the butter with a fork until it was broken up enough to mix with the beaters. She mashed the cream cheese too. When she was little and I asked her to help in the kitchen she would light up, and run to get a footstool yelling, “Don’t do ANYTHING until I get back!”
We decorated ours with sliced strawberries, but the lemon flavor would be nice with just about any fresh fruit, or even just a simple mint garnish. Next time I’m going to try piping it into cored strawberries and then sprinkling crushed gingersnaps on top. I think it would be crazy good with a dollop of lemon curd and a handful of fresh blueberries.